Sep 28, 2023
For more information on this program, contact the Social Science and Education division at 615-230-3231.
The Department of Economics, Geography, History and Political Science is focused on developing in students an understanding of the present that is informed by an awareness of the past as well as the complex and interdependent relationships between cultures and societies. The Associate of Arts in Economics is a two-year program for students planning to continue their education to earn a bachelor’s degree in the field of economics, finance, or banking.
The Tennessee Transfer Pathway (TTP) degree is designed to create a smooth transition to all public universities offering a Baccalaureate degree in this major by guaranteeing the transferability of all courses, except for the universities noted below under the “Area of Emphasis Requirements” section. For transfer to other four-year institutions, contact an advisor at the senior institution. Note: There are to be no course substitutions in this program.
All students graduating with a degree from VSCC are required to take the Educational Testing Service Proficiency Profile (ETSP) to meet graduation requirements. More information can be found at https://www.volstate.edu/testing.
CIP Code: (16) 24.0101.01
General Education Requirements - Credits (41)
Area of Emphasis Requirements - Credits (19)
- MATH 1830 - ^Applied Calculus Credits: (3) OR Advisor Approved Course3
- Foreign Language [One Year Sequence in Single Foreign Language] Credits: (6)4
- University Parallel Elective (any non-asterisk course) (Guided) Credits: (10)5
Total Degree Requirements - Credits (60)
- Students who plan to transfer to UTK should take an Introduction to Ethics course as one of their Humanities/Fine Arts courses or as an alternative guided elective.
- MTSU and UTK students should take MATH 1630. Students transferring to UTC or UTM should take a college algebra course. University of Memphis requires MATH 1710 or MATH 1830. APSU requires MATH 1710 only. TSU requires MATH 1830 only. ETSU and TTU requires MATH 1530. Johnson University requires MATH 1130 or MATH 1530.
- MATH 1830 is a prerequisite to MATH 2050 for UTK requirement.
- Students who plan to transfer to UTK will be required to demonstrate intermediate level competency in Foreign Language before graduating from UTK. Students may demonstrate intermediate level competence after transferring to UTK.
- Students who plan to transfer to UTK should complete MATH 2050: Calculus-Based Probability and Statistics. Students who plan to pursue the Accounting major or Accounting collaterals at UTK will be required to take ACCT 203 or demonstrate competency by passing an ACCT 203 proficiency exam before moving forward with upper level Accounting coursework. Advisors are invited to contact the UTK Transfer Center to learn more about course equivalencies.
Students who plan to transfer to UTK will be required to complete ENGL 295 at UTK if they have not completed an equivalent course at their community college. Advisors are invited to contact the UTK Transfer Center to learn more about course equivalencies.
This is a recommended schedule. Learning Support, pre-requisites and other academic factors may impact this schedule. See your advisor to create a degree plan.
DegreeWorks, along with the correct catalog, should be utilized by students for all of their educational planning. Students can monitor their progress toward a degree or certificate and view missing requirements with the DegreeWorks audit, which is accessible through My Volstate.
First Year - Fall Semester - Credits (15)
First Year - Spring Semester - Credits (16)
Second Year - Fall Semester - Credits (16)
Second Year - Spring Semester - Credits (13)
- Foreign Language II (See General Education Requirements) Credits: (3)4
- History (See General Education Requirements in Catalog) Credits: (3)
- Humanities and/or Fine Arts (Literature - See General Education Requirements in Catalog) Credits: (3)1
- University Parallel Elective (Any non-asterisk course) Credits: (4)5