Oct 20, 2020  
2007-2008 VSCC Catalog 
2007-2008 VSCC Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

External Credit

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Move Admission to the Honors Program to Instructional Regulations



Incoming freshmen who meet the following criteria are strongly urged to apply to the Honors Program: an ACT composite score of 26 or higher; a high school GPA of 3.5 or a ranking in the top ten percent of the graduating class; and two letters of recommendation, one from a high school official. Applications are available through the Humanities Division of the College. Students already enrolled in the College are also strongly encouraged to apply. They need a GPA of 3.5 or above and recommendations from two faculty members. Interested students should contact the Coordinator of the Honors Program.

Required High School Courses

Students enrolled in a university parallel program (Associate of Science or Associate of Art Degree) who graduated from high school in 1989 or after and enrolled in college fall 1989 or after will be required to meet the 14 units of high school requirements. Unit deficiencies should be completed within the first thirty hours of enrollment at Volunteer State Community College. All unit deficiencies must be completed prior to graduation from Volunteer State Community College. Students must submit transcripts which reflect the following units:

English   4 units
  Algebra I 1 unit
  Algebra II 1 unit
  Geometry or other advanced math course with
Geometry component
1 unit
  Integrated Math sequence (I, II, III) 3 units
Natural/Physical Sciences 2 units
  (One unit must be a laboratory course in Biology,
Chemistry, or Physics)
United States History   1 unit
Social Studies   1 unit
  (can include World History, Ancient History, Modern
History, World Geography, European History)
Foreign Language   2 units
  (2 units in the same language)  
Visual and/or Performing Arts 1 unit
  (beginning Fall 1993)  

Students who have high school unit deficiencies in these areas must remove the deficiencies by completing designated Developmental Studies and college course work for elective credit and add-on graduation requirements. To determine specific courses which satisfy these requirements, contact your academic advisor or the Office of Records and Registration.

Exceptions to high school requirements:

  • Graduated from high school prior to 1989.
  • Took the GED test prior to 1989.
  • Enrolled as a Special Student not pursuing a degree.
  • Enrolled in an Associate of Applied Science Program
  • Enrolled in a Technical Certificate Program.
  • ACT scores of 26 or higher. Applicants who graduated from high school and have an Enhanced ACT composite of 26 or higher are considered to have met all high school unit requirements except those in foreign language and visual or performing arts. Foreign language and visual or performing arts requirements cannot be waived even with an ACT composite score of 26 or higher. Deficiencies in those units should be removed within the first 30 hours after initial enrollment.
  • Applicants who received a GED Certificate or the American Council on Education (ACE) external diploma in 1989 and thereafter are considered to have met all high school unit requirements except those in foreign language and visual or performing arts. Deficiencies in foreign language and visual or performing arts should be removed within the first 30 hours after enrollment.
  • Applicants with a disability who volunteer information about their disability will be assessed on an individual basis.

Move Academic Advising and Registration to Instructional Regulations



Students may register for classes by registering on-line using PRIDE-ONLINE. To access these services, go to VSCC's home page on the internet www.volstate.edu. Detailed instructions will be printed in the schedule of classes each semester.

Registration dates for fall, spring, and summer terms are published in the academic calendar located in the front of this catalog. To avoid delay in the registration process the following procedures should be followed:

  1. All new and re-admit students must complete an application for admission or re-admission and submit proper credentials.
    1. All new students are invited and encouraged to attend an orientation session. Students will be scheduled for an orientation session by the Office of Admissions.
    2. Placement testing is required of all new or re-admit degree seeking students. The test is administered by the Testing Office, unless the requirement has been previously met.
    3. Students are assigned an academic advisor to assist them during their college career. The primary responsibility of the advisor is to provide accurate and timely information to help students reach educational objectives. Students should contact their advisors prior to registration each term.
    4. Registration fees are published in the schedule of classes each term. A student's registration is not complete until fees have been paid.
  2. All currently enrolled students are given an opportunity to early register during the early registration period published in the academic calendar.

Move Developmental Studies to Instructional Regulations



The Tennessee Board of Regents, which governs all the State's community colleges and universities except the UT system, requires that students who enroll in college-level courses first show that they have high school level skills in order to succeed in college-level courses. First-time freshmen and Transfer students are classified as "Degree-Seeking" students. Any "Adult Special" or "Transient" student who wishes to take a college-level course which has a Developmental Studies prerequisite must also demonstrate the required level of skills.

Students ages 20 and under who possess valid ACT scores will be screened for placement into college-level courses or Developmental courses according to their ACT sub-scores in English, Reading, and Mathematics. Students whose ACT subscores in English, Reading, and Mathematics are 19 or higher will have open access to college-level courses provided they have met the high school unit requirements for college admission. Students whose ACT sub- scores are 18 or lower in English, Reading and/or Mathematics will be placed in developmental courses according to the following chart.

English 1-14
DSPW 0700-Writing I
DSPW 0800-Writing II
College Level
Reading 1-11
DSPR 0700-Reading I
DSPR 0800-Reading II
College Level
Math 1-14
DSPM 0700-Basic Math
DSPM 0800-Elem Algebra
DSPM 0850-Int. Algebra
College Level


If a student has more than one set of ACT scores, they will be allowed to use their best sub-scores to obtain the best placement. SAT scores will be converted to ACT equivalent scores, and then the above chart will be used for placement.

Students will have the opportunity to challenge their initial placement by ACT scores. Students have the option to retest using the college's challenge assessment tests or other instruments determined by the NewSkills program.

Students age 21 or over, who do not possess valid ACT scores, will be given an assessment test and placed accordingly. Students will have the opportunity to challenge the placement through challenge tests in the Testing Center or through challenge tests in the NewSkills Program.

The Developmental Studies courses which must be completed by the student will be determined on the basis of this assessment. These courses cover basic skills through high school level skills required of all entering students. These courses are entrance requirements and must be completed as the student begins college. Any student who is placed beyond Reading I may take college-level courses along with developmental courses. All students enrolled in developmental reading and writing courses are re-assessed and placements adjusted the first day of class. Any student who wishes to challenge his or her placement in math should contact the NewSkills Program before enrolling in math courses to discuss options.

Once enrolled, the student must complete any Developmental Studies course with a grade of "C" or better. The progress grade (YC) may be earned in a course in which the student achieves mastery of at least half of the content. Other policies and procedures specific to the different areas of study are presented in the course syllabi for those areas.

Course And/Or Entrance Placement

The placement of a student in any given college-level course will depend upon his/her having met certain prerequisites for that particular course. Eligibility for any given course will be established on the basis of achievement on the related section of the ACT and/or the achievement on the other tests administered by the College during registration procedures, and/or high school or other college courses completed. The placement procedures are designed to help guide the enrolling student into courses commensurate with his/her ability.

In selected career programs, students may be granted advanced placement if specific competence and proficiency are established by work experience and/or departmental examination. In special cases, up to 16 semester hours of credit may be awarded for proficiency as demonstrated by work experience and departmental examinations.

Entrance placement in a foreign language class will depend upon the student's background in the language. A student who has completed one or more years in French or Spanish in high school with a grade of "C" or better may continue that language at the level they achieve on the foreign language proficiency exam given in the Testing Office. If the student has not studied the language in high school, but he or she has learned the language in some other setting, the student may take the proficiency exam for placement into foreign language classes.

Students who fail to achieve the required level of proficiency in high school courses/tests will be required to enroll in appropriate courses, some of which may be based on initial assessment.


Any applicant who is degree seeking and has attended any institution of higher learning will be considered a transfer student. Transcripts will be required from high school (or GED scores if applicable) and from all colleges or universities attended. Volunteer State Community College generally accepts credits from other institutions of higher education. All collegiate level coursework for each transfer student who is degree seeking or seeking a technical certificate, will be evaluated according to the following criteria: (1) course similarity within the programs enrolled in at Volunteer State Community College; (2) course content equivalent to course taught at the same level at Volunteer State Community College; (3) same credentialing requirements for faculty at the transferring institution. In some cases Volunteer State Community College may request additional information before awarding credit on a course by course basis.

Transcripts will be evaluated prior to, or during the initial term of enrollment and students notified via mail of credits awarded as evaluations are completed. Only grades of "C" or higher will be accepted for credit. Transfer grades are not calculated in the Volunteer State Community College grade point average. Credit for courses not corresponding with the curriculum at Volunteer State Community College may be entered on the transcript as elective credits. Students who transfer credit that was taken more than twenty years ago must validate that credit by completing at least 18 hours of satisfactory work with a 2. 0 grade point average at Volunteer State Community College. The transfer credit will not be posted to the student's academic record until the work has been validated.

A student transferring from another institution of higher learning may be permitted to attend Vol State for one semester regardless of academic standing at the last institution attended. Students transferring with a quality point average below 1.500 for the last term of enrollment, or not in good standing at the last institution attended, will be admitted on probation. Transfer students will be notified of probation status by the Office of Records and Registration.

Upon completion of the initial term of enrollment, the student's eligibility for continued enrollment will be determined by the academic status and retention standards of Volunteer State. Transfer students who have credit for developmental studies courses (reading, writing, math, study skills) at non-TBR institutions may receive credit for those courses pending review and approval.

Transfer students who have not completed a college-level English composition and/or college-level math course with a grade of "C" or better will be assessed upon entry to the College following the assessment and placement procedures; *i.e., students with valid (less than three years old) Enhanced ACT scores will be screened and, depending on those scores, may be required to take the appropriate placement test. Transfer students who have not been assessed at a TBR institution or completed any college-level courses in English composition or college-level math will be assessed according to the College's assessment and placement procedures.

Maximum External Credit Allowed From Various Sources

Not more than a total of 36 semester hours of credit can be granted by Vol State through any combination of external sources: credit granted for service in the Armed Forces (including physical education credit and credit for courses offered through the United States Armed Forces Institute or other service schools), advanced placement credit (the Advanced Placement Program and College-Level Examination Program of the College Entrance Examination Board, credit by examination, or previous training or work experience qualifying for degree credit.)

Should a student be granted the maximum total of 36 semester hours of credit through external sources, he/she must still complete all specific degree requirements as given in an outlined Program of Study in order to receive an associate degree at Vol State. Students must meet the 24 semester hour residence requirement and a minimum of 20 of the final 26 hours must be completed at Volunteer State.


Volunteer State Community College accepts a maximum of 15 semester hours earned by correspondence and/or extension, provided that such credits are taken from an institution which is a member of the University Extension Association, the Teacher College Extension Association, or the appropriate regional accrediting association.

Prior to a student's initial registration at Vol State as a regular student, the Office of Records and Registration will determine the acceptability of extension and/or correspondence earned at other institutions. After the student has been admitted as a regular student, whether he is a beginning freshman or a transfer student, he will not be given credit applicable to any Vol State degree for subsequent correspondence or extension courses unless he has obtained, prior to his enrollment in such courses, written permission from the Director of Records and Registration.

No student is permitted to enroll for correspondence or extension courses while he is carrying a maximum load at Vol State.

A student who has completed 24 hours in residence at Vol State and who lacks no more than six semester hours, or two courses, toward completion of degree requirements may earn these additional credits by acceptable correspondence or extension work, or by residence at another approved institution.

CEU, Non-Credit Students

A student interested in enrolling in CEU, non-credit instructional activities is not required to apply for formal admission to the College. Adult students, 18 years of age and older, must complete a CEU application. A student 17 years of age or younger, or his parent or guardian, must complete a Pre-College CEU application. The parent or guardian must sign a waiver of liability.


Veterans who have completed one year or more of full-time, extended active military service will be excused from taking the required physical education activity courses except PED 107 (Lifetime Fitness). Veterans will receive four semester hours (less credit already earned) of physical education credit upon presentation of a copy of their discharge form (DD214) to the Office of Records and Registration. Reservists who have served six months active duty under the provision of the Reserve Forces Act of 1955 are not considered veterans; they may, however, be excused from taking the required physical education activity courses upon the presentation of a copy of their discharge form (DD214) to the Director of Records and Registration.

The Director of Records and Registration should be consulted to determine whether additional credit can be given for courses offered through the United States Armed Forces Institute or other service schools. An evaluation of service credit is not made until a student has applied and been granted admission to the College.


Volunteer State participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). A maximum of twelve semester hours may be given to qualified students on the basis of the Advanced Placement Program. To be eligible for credit, an entering freshman must place in group three, four, or five of the CEEB Advanced Placement Tests. Each applicant, under this plan, is required to take the Advanced Placement Test of the CEEB during his senior year in the secondary school. The tests are scored by the CEEB and sent to the College. Credit at Volunteer State Community College for the Advanced Placement test will be given as follows:

AP Exam AP
VSCC Course for which credit will be granted Semester
Biology 4 BIOL 1010 or BIOL 1030 4
Biology 5 BIOL 1010 & BIOL 1020 8
Chemistry 4 CHEM 1110 4
Chemistry 5 CHEM 1110 & CHEM 1120 8
English 3 ENGL 1010 3
English 3 or 4 ENGL 1010 & ENGL1020 6
History (AM) 3, 4 or 5 HIST 2010 & HIST 2020 6
History (Euro) 3, 4 or 5 HIST 111 0 & HIST1120 6
Math/Cal AB 3 MATH 1830 3
MathCal AB 4 or 5 MATH 1830 3
    or MATH 1910 4
Math/Cal BC 3 or 4 MATH 1830 3
    or MATH 1910 4
Math/Cal BC 5 MATH 1910 & MATH 1920 8
Physics B 4 PHYS 2010 4
Physics B 5 PHYS 2010 & PHYS 2020 8
Physics C Pt. I 5 PHYS 2110 4
Physics C Pt. II 5 PHYS 2120 4
Spanish 3 SPAN 1010, SPAN 1020 6
Spanish 4 SPAN 1010, SPAN 1020, SPAN 2020 9
Spanish 5 SPAN 1010, SPAN 1020, SPAN 2010, SPAN 2020 12
Statistics 3, 4 or 5 MATH 1530 3

In order to receive VSCC credit for the CPS the student must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be accepted into the College
  2. Show validated evidence of the CPS certificate.
  3. Complete eighteen (18) semester hours of approved courses at the college.

Credit by Examination

Examinations for credit in courses offered by the College are offered to students who believe they have already mastered the material of the course through private study, technical employment, or the like. The College will recognize credit for exam offered through the Educational Testing Service, CLEP exam program. Local tests will not be developed for courses where CLEP exams are available. Students interested in taking a CLEP exam should contact the Testing Office for registration and testing information. Volunteer State Community College honors the following:


CLEP Subject Test Minimum
VSCC Course Semester
Hrs. credit
Financial Accounting 50 ACT 201 3
American Government 50 POL 200 3
History of the United States I:
Early Colonization-187
50 HIST 2010 3
History of the United States II:
1865 to Present
50 HIST 2020 3
American Literature 50 ENG L 211 0,
Analyzing & Interp of Lit 50 ENGL 2320 3
Biology 50 BIOL 1010,
Business Law, Introductory 50 BUS 251 3
Management, Principles of 50 MGT 11 0 3
College Algebra 50 MATH 1130 3
College Algebra- Trigonometry 50 MATH 1710 3
College Mathematics 50 MATH 1010 3
French Language I, II 50 FREN 1010,
French Language III, IV 62 FREN 2010,
Spanish Language I, II 50 SPAN
Spanish Language III, IV 66 SPAN 2010,
English Composition w/ Essay 50 ENGL 1010 3
Human Growth & Develop 50 EDU 102 3
Macroeconomics, Principles of 50 ECO 211 3
Marketing, Principles of 50 MKT 110 3
Psychology, Introductory 50 PSY 101 3
Sociology, Introductory 50 SOC 101 3
Trigonometry 50 MATH 1720 3
Western Civilization I: Ancient
Near East to 1648
50 HIST 1110 3
Western Civilization II: 1648
to Present
50 HIST 1120 3

CLEP subject exams can be taken in order for credit to be obtained at another institution which accepts CLEP credit. Before registering for a CLEP exam that will be used at another institution, please contact the institution in order to determine if the CLEP credit is accepted, the minimum score needed and for which course credit is granted. The Testing Center offers other CLEP exams in addition to the exams listed. For more information concerning the expanded list of exams contact the Testing office.

Credit by Local Examination

Any enrolled credit student who is in good academic standing or an Allied Health student officially admitted into a program may make application to take an examination for credit up to a maximum of 12 semester hours in limited courses specified in the division housing the curricula of their declared major. The student must register for the course and satisfactorily complete the required examination. The students should be certain that they have at least the minimal preparation and background required before they attempt any examination. Examinations may not be given in sequential courses numbered lower than those the student has already completed.

The form of the examination and the method of administering it are left to the discretion of the division dean. Proficiency examinations cannot be taken to repeat course work or be used in lieu of an "F" or "I" A student must enroll for the course and declare the intent to challenge by exam prior to the first day of class. Credit examinations may not be taken in areas where a student has been given course exemption without credit. Credit for examination is recorded on the transcript as "Pass, credit by examination."

The following procedures will be completed after the student registers for the course to receive credit:

  1. Student must submit completed application to division chair to challenge by exam, prior to the first day of class.
  2. Student must enroll for the course to be challenged.
  3. Maintenance fees must be paid prior to taking examination.
  4. The exam will be scheduled and scored during the first week of class. Student should attend the regular class until the exam is scored and notification of test results given. If the student passes the examination, the instructor will submit proper forms to the Office of Records and Registration.
  5. If the student does not pass the examination, the Division Chair will notify the student by mail. The student may remain in the class and complete the course.

Credit for Life Experience


Currently enrolled and former credit students may request consideration of college credit award for life experience. The Credit for Life Experience Committee has the responsibility of working with the student to evaluate the request and to determine if the Credit for Life Experience option is appropriate.

A $25 application fee per course for which a student requests credit is required and available at the Office of Career Placement and Cooperative Education or online in printable format at www.volstate.edu/placement, click on Credit for Life.  Students requesting Credit for Life Experience should apply at least one semester before they are considering enrolling in a particular class. If the Credit for Life Experience is approved, the student must pay the current maintenance fee rate per credit hour awarded less the $25 application fee. Speaking to a professor in the area where Credit for Life is being requested does not guarantee that the credit will be awarded. If the Credit for Life Experience is not approved, the $25 application fee is non-refundable.

Credit for Life Experience may be granted through two options:

OPTION 1: Credit for Courses offered by Volunteer State

Submission of a portfolio documenting professional experience that relates directly to specific course content offered by VSCC and approval of this portfolio by a college committee for up to nine (9) semester hours of credit


Submission of the content and outcomes of prior learning through structured not-for-credit instruction offered by private or public agencies, verified by certificate or transcript, and approval of this content and outcomes by a college committee for up to nine (9) semester hours of credit.

OPTION 2: Credit for Elective Credit (Selected Topics Courses)

Submission of a portfolio documenting work or other experience that is worthy of college credit but does not match specific existing credit courses offered by Vol State and approval of this portfolio by a college committee for up to six (6) semester hours of elective credit


Submission of the content and outcomes of prior learning through structured not-for-credit instruction offered by private or public agencies, verified by certificate or transcript, and approval of this content by a college committee for up to six (6) semester hours of elective credit.

Credit for Life Experience may not be requested for subject areas that offer CLEP or credit by examination options.

Requests must be submitted at least two semesters prior to graduation. Credit awarded through any of the options listed above is not considered part of the College's graduation residency requirements. Students requesting Credit for Life experience must submit a $25.00 non-refundable application fee. If Credit for Life experience is awarded the student will be required to pay the tuition for the number of credit hours received.

Students interested in pursuing Credit for Life Experience should contact the Office of Career Placement and Cooperative Education.


 Articulated High School Credits

Volunteer State Community College partners with certain county school systems to allow applicants who graduated from high school within two years of enrollment at VSCC and made at least a B in specified Career and Technical (Vocational) courses to earn college credits for those high school courses. A complete list of courses, participating high schools, and an explanation of the process to obtain credits can be found online at www.volstate/highschoolarticulation or by contacting the Admissions Office at Vol State.